• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Talc toxicity

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
Extreme exposure of the lungs to talc may cause cancer according to some studies and there is a link between talc and various pulmonary issues.

Talc has also been linked to ovarian cancer apparently.

I was just wondering, if I, as a male, were to wear a mask whilst applying talcum powder to my genital area, especially under my scrotum between my legs and under my arms to prevent perspiration, could I prevent any health issues? Or could it cause other issues despite taking this safety precaution?

I am wary of any strong chemical in close contact with my skin & pores be it deoderant or talc. I don't feel I need scientific studies to tell me it's not good, I can just sense it, i can't explain really. Sorry I have no time to find a source but I heard a bbc prog talking about talc & cervical cancer, apparently high levels of some compound found in talc (aluminium maybe) are found in the cells of women who use talc & were diagnosed, implying the harmful molecules in talc actually made their way up the vaginal canal. I think I can tell your instinct is that its not good stuff, we should trust our instincts more, so I'd stay clean & fresh the natural way - washing frequently.

Well thankfully I don't have a vagina. Actually on second thoughts it would be quite nice to have one, but anyway...

Is there a safer alternative to talc?

hold your palm straight to the holes on the bottle, shake it out and apply it direct. as long as you're not blasting streams of it into the air there is no reason to worry about cancer. why the need to use talc powder in the first place? perspiration is healthy, as is taking a shower after working out. if you feel like you're excreting excessive sweat then there's an underlying cause that would warrant a doctor's attention.

^ My scrotum gets sweaty quite easily and I find a little talc applied to the area prevents it from sticking to my inner thighs and makes walking around a lot more comfortable. I also apply it to my underarm area which is naturally a sweaty area for most people. It just makes me feel a lot more comfortable and prevents BO. I don't think I particularly have a problem with excessive perspiration. I just love the effectiveness of talc on perspiration and the improved comfort it provides.

It seems a bit nonsensical to wear a mask. There are bigger concerns than talc toxicity, be concerned with those instead....